Monday, February 06, 2006

Here We Go Again

Four of us from my press crew worked on SuperBowl Sunday, and it was a rather easy day for us, but not a good day for others. As we like to say, "Better them than us". We were preparing to wash blankets at 6:45 PM yesterday, when we were notified we had to change over to another zone run. It was very hectic, platemaking was in the process of making the plates for the news sections and the supervisors were scrambling in the office and on pressroom floor. We double and triple checked our plates, to insure we had every plate needed to run the San Gabriel Inland Empire run.

It took well over an hour to have all of our plates made at the last minute, but the press was started, and the run would not impact the night crews much.

Appears my numbers came up in the football pool, so I will be buying lunch for my crew this week, either with meal tickets or cash?

Yesterday as I got into my car, I got the scare of my life. As the key was turned in the ignition, all I heard was that clicking sound of a dead battery. I thought to myself "They will never believe me at work that my car wouldn't start", so I stepped out of my car headed for the battery in the trunk, but the trunk was locked. Seems, I somehow had turned the alarm on, and it has a kill switch to the ignition. The panic attack was over, and I made it to work in plenty of time.

Keep smiling,
Eddie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed I am sorry the crew I was on placed a big burden on your crew. Platemaking got us big time. First we got our last plate before stater doubled with another plate. We stopped an ordered the right plate. Then 40 some thousand into the run we find out that that plate we hung was the wrong ad. Worst of all I didnt hang the one with the Folio. I felt awful yesterday cause it was my unit. Our platemaking people were so efficient we trusted them to give us the right plates in a rush hour situation in the past. When I got home I had this numb pain in my gut it took a while for to go away. I could not go to sleep. Finally I confessed my feelings to my God of my understanding and slept. Still I dont know what will happen. I guess my 1% cost of living raise is history. And maybe no overtime for me no more. Thats it. By the way I am very happy for you Ed on winning the just for fun Pool. You have been in the red with money for a while many congrats.....

Edward Padgett said...

Guillermo,
Shit happens! The folio's were correct, and the advertising was different, and no one said a word to watch out for the different ad's.

Platemaking gave us two different pages for F-12, so I looked on the rundown sheet. Otherwise, we would have used the wrong plates ourselves.

I'm not sure how to prevent mistakes like this from occuring, but it's happening much too often.

Eddie

Anonymous said...

How much is that "DOGGIE" in your window, Ed Padgett?