Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Meeting with Dennis FitzSimons

Last night I tossed and turned in anticipation of today's town hall meeting with Dennis FitzSimons. Many of my co-workers thought it no big deal, but for myself, it's not everyday I get to see and hear a speech by the CEO of a major American Institution, so I was thrilled to be able to attend.

I pictured Mr. FitzSimons as a larger man, meaning I thought he would have a beer belly. But he was in very good physical shape, tall and slender, appears he watches what he eats and works out daily.

As I walked into the Chandler Auditorium my digital camera was noted, and I was told I could not take any photographs during the town hall meeting. Darn I thought to myself, I had charged my batteries and was set to fill my one gigabyte card with as many pictures of our CEO as I was able.

The meeting was to be limited to thirty minutes, but went on for almost an hour. About half way into the meeting Jeff Johnson went up to the podium and said something to Mr. FitzSimons. That's when we were told by Mr. FitzSimons that everything was off the record and nothing from the meeting could be broadcast in any manner. So I'm unable to share what was said at today's town hall meeting, but I'm sure it will be reported somewhere else.

As the meeting came to an end, I was saddened that I had no pictures of Mr. FitzSimons, and that I had not had my picture taken with him as well. Since I sat in the second row from the front, it took a few minutes to exit the auditorium, and who do I run right into, Mr. FitzSimons. I shook his hand and thanked him for coming to Los Angeles to speak with the employees of the Los Angeles Times. Then I popped the question "Can I have a picture taken with you?" He didn't hesitate and answered "Sure"

So much for starting my career as a reporter for the Pressmen's Twenty Year Club today.

Stay positive,
Eddie

4 comments:

Kanani said...

You probably have the only picture taken of him while he was here, Eddie! Bet it appears in the LA Times.....

Anonymous said...

Ed,

An off the record town meeting in a room filled with newspaper employees... and they make the announcement half-way through the meeting? Just goes to show that these Chicago poobahs don't have a clue about the business they mismanage.

The sale of Knight Ridder must have these guys shaking in their boots.

By this time next year, the corporate landscape will be vastly different. Like Knight Ridder, the Tribune Co. may be history.

What a sad situation.

Kanani said...

Did you tell him about your blog?

Anonymous said...

I remember back in the 80's I've met Wolfman Jack while stationed at Ramstein Airbase in Germany at our NCO club, posing with him in a Polariod whom not only autographed his name but mine also. Needless to say I had it laminated for posterity. I would of love to meet Mr. Fitzsimmons, whom I've found out is close to my age. I don't know if I could of posted with him at Oly, but one never knows!
Bob Wright