Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Another Times Editor Rides Away

As I sat on the balcony at the Times Olympic Facility sipping on ice cold lemonade, the information regarding Dean Baquet leaving the Los Angeles Times came my way at 2:55 pm.

Thinking I would be able to scoop Kevin Roderick on a story for the first time, I quickly copied the e-mail from David Hiller, to my blog. Then jumped to LAObserved, only to discover, Kevin had broke the story.

The Publisher's e-mail to all LA Times employees arrived at 2:45 pm, yet someone posted a comment on this blog at 2:18 pm regarding the message on LAObserved regarding the editor's departure.

I have never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Baquet, and now it appears I never will. But my hats off to him for standing up for the men and women working for him, what the future holds for the remaining LA Times employees is anyones guess?

What really saddened me were my co-workers. Over half of my fellow printers had no clue whom Dean Baquet was, let alone his job title. And several could not remember Jeff Johnson's name (former publisher of the Los Angeles Times) when I mentioned today's news at the newspaper. I sure hope none of these uninformed people voted today.

The timing of Dean Baquet' departure could not have been better, with the election taking the spot light, this story will be buried in the back pages of most newspapers today.

No comments: