Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Blinded by the LAT's fonts

By Cari Beauchamp
Native Intelligence

My dear friend Betty Bumpers, wife of former Senator Dale and a wonderful rowdy activist in her own right, once said of another Senator who shall go unnamed that he talked so much, his motto must be, "Let no thought go unuttered." I think of Betty now every time I look at the front page of the Los Angeles Time and find myself paraphrasing her words because I can only assume the paper’s new mantra is "Let no font go unused."

Jump to complete story here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From LA Observed:

Baquet out at Times *

Times editor Dean Baquet "is stepping down under pressure from Tribune Company," the Wall Street Journal says in an online story citing "people familiar with the situation." He just confirmed it in an email to the staff:

By now you've seen the Wall Street Journal story on L.A. Observed that I'll be leaving the paper. Believe me, I didn't want it to come out this way. Give me some time, and I'll talk to the entire newsroom later this afternoon, at 3 p.m. outside my office. And do me an even bigger favor. Let's do a hell of a job on the election tonight. Best,

Dean

I'm told his last day is Friday and that newsroom speculation is that the Tribune leaked the story to the Wall street Journal, perhaps hoping it would be buried in election day news. The Times website now has a story up. The WSJ story by Sarah Ellison says "Mr. Baquet's departure is likely to ratchet up tensions between the L.A. Times' newsroom and Tribune, just as Tribune's board is exploring the sale of the company or individual assets....The departure of the top editor could spark an exodus of other editors." Just last month, Baquet talked tough at a gathering of national newspaper editors and urged them to resist cuts from above. He previously had admitted that he considered leaving the Times when Tribune ordered the cuts that spurred the departure of publisher Jeff Johnson. On Oct. 5 he told his editors he would be staying.

His foreign correspondents recently donned t-shirts in his honor.

Updated repeatedly with more news