Saturday, December 30, 2006

Blabbermouth

Remember when we'd get home and someone would jot down a note. "So-and-so called, please phone when you can."

It was understood that the information that needed to be imparted could wait. There was no way of getting ahold of us when we were in our cars, at work, in the market or going into a movie.
Think of that again....
Information can wait!,

I think a lot of what's imparted over cell phones doesn't really matter whether or not you receive it now or later. With the exception of a few things, like needing to know where friends or family members are, or talking to clients, most things can wait until later. And that's not maƱana-speak, that's only stating the obvious.

When I'm at a store, I don't need to know a person's entire dysfunctional family circus. I don't want to hear it. No way. They should keep their little dirty family secrets about Aunt Tiffany wearing men's boxers while Uncle Hank wears her bras and thongs. Really, I know how messed up the world is, I don't need it reaffirmed everytime I'm at the ATM/grocers/DMV/school/elevator/restaurant/biker bar.

Biker bar? Well, yes. The saddest sight you'll ever see is a big motley biker strolling through a bar with a teeny little electronic gizmo strapped to his ear saying, "Uh huh, uh huh, okay, see ya." Such monosyllabic mutters cost, and besides that little blue tooth is like a teeny tiny electronic leash, so best leave it at the door.

But the worst example of airwave pollution was a psychologist who went through her entire day's patient list while getting her car fixed. We had to listen to the psychologist break every privacy and ethical rule in the book as she led detailed discussions of her patient's problems in public. If I could have, I'd of given her a ticket for poor taste and unprofessional conduct.

And it could have waited.

So yes, bring out that safety fine for blabbermouths who go 45 mph on the Santa Monica freeway because their yabbering over the phone. Information can wait. The world will still be here if they let their phone ring.

3 comments:

Edward Padgett said...

Funny you happened to mention cell phones, I happen to dislike them, but feel an emptiness when I forget to bring my cell phone along for a quick trip to the market or when the battery runs dry. How was it we somehow survived without cell phones in years gone past?

Just yesterday as a man walked near me at the coffee shop I overheard him ask “How are you today”? Which I naturally answered “I’m doing great thank you”, only to have a terrible feeling of embarrassment come over me when I realized he was speaking on a hands free cell phone. Looking around, I wondered to myself, did anyone see or hear me talking to this stranger that wasn’t speaking to me?

Over forty years ago I dreamed about having a watch that operated similar to Dick Tracy’s watch, I’m sure my waiting will be over soon as we all strap on communication devices, that also tell time.

Kanani said...

Hey Ed,
You've posted so much that I"m not sure you'll dip back into the archives to see this.

What I really hate is people out to meal with their children. The kids sit there at the table while the parent yaps on the phone. It's rude and sets a bad example. It's also a lost opportunity to have a conversation with their kids. I'm sorry, but there's not much of importance beyond talking to your kids... ever.

I also don't like hearing about someone's personal life. Really hate that. All of that stuff used to be handled in person, or at worst, behind their backs in gossip sessions with other people. But now, it's broadcast for the whole world to hear.

I have to admit to answering my phone less. I check the number. If it's the kids or my husband, I answer it. If it's the office, a number I don't recognize, they can leave a message. I'll check it when I get a break.

And the world will go on, even if I don't pick up.

Jess Espinoza said...

Hey kanani,
I'm with you, I rarely use my cell phone in public, and usually won't answer if I feel the time or location is inappropriate. But, like Ed, I do tend to feel "naked" without my phone; I like knowing my family can always get in touch with me in the event of an emergency, it gives me a sense of security. It's funny how a device, that was quite rare twenty years ago, has become so entrenched in our society in such a short time.