Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Importance of Laughter

"You don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing." Such a simple, yet profound statement. When I read this on the bottom of a friend's e-mail message, it made me stop and consider what my outlook on life really is.

I, like so many others I know, consider myself to be young at heart. Recently, however, I realized that sometimes I take life a little too seriously. I'm a responsible adult, pay my bills on time, maintain my household and make sure my children are fed, loved and well-cared for. But, I also realized that there are times that I am too worried about life to just relax and have fun. Laughter, they say, is the best medicine. In fact, at one point in my life I faced a life-changing crisis and I vowed to myself to find something to laugh at every single day for the rest of my life. For many, many years I fulfilled that promise to myself every day. Somewhere along the way, I forgot that laughing every day is what carried me through some of the worst times in my life.

I am renewing my promise to myself tonight. I hope this will cause someone reading this to think about their own life and join me by having a good laugh every day.

1 comment:

Nubia said...

I agree. Laughter is, indeed, a prescription for sadness, grief, depression, etc.

I actually dedicate a portion of one window to my office to what I call "Stress Meds." Each time my staff pass by my office, they stop to read the comics, pictures and quotes, or to see if anything new has been posted. They get a real kick out of it, as do I when I'm choosing the prescription.

It makes life a more bearable and I encourage laughter on a regular basis.

Keep laughing:-)

Nubia