Sunday, October 14, 2007

Illegal Street Racers Kill 5 in the Southland

Last week my children and I marked the two-month anniversary of Bryan’s death, and to make matters worse, there happened to be three different street races that resulted in deaths the day before, the day of, and the day after October 8Th. This only magnified this particular day for all of us, as we knew how the families that lost loved ones felt as we read their stories.

As a recap of last week’s carnage and mayhem in Southern California, here are the stories with links to the three street races I’m referring to.

Sunday Oct. 7th, 2007
Pico Rivera: Brian Ramirez, 18, of Los Angeles, was killed while racing against Fitzgerald Paragas, 18, down Rosemead Boulevard at 90 mph around 7:00 on Sunday night, according to a California Highway Patrol report.

Monday Oct. 8th, 2007
El Monte: A mother and her two children were burned to death when the vehicle they were in was hit by two cars racing in El Monte Monday, authorities said.

Tuesday Oct. 9th, 2007
Reseda: A 5-year-old boy critically injured in a Reseda crash Tuesday died Wednesday night, police said. His mother and infant sister remained in critical condition Thursday.

(Click on the red dates above for the articles from the Los Angeles Times, CBS News, and the San Gabriel Valley Tribune)

My son Bryan was killed while racing another Mustang on August 8Th, 2007, which has led me to attempt to inform the public, especially young men and women of the dangers of street racing. The movies portray young street racers as heroes, which almost always walk away from their accidents with a few bumps and bruises; nothing could be further from the truth.

I would like to think I am making a difference, but sometimes we aren’t really sure anyone is listening, until a reader shares his or her story, like Jerry Holden did a few weeks ago. Jerry told me he had placed a down payment on a Camero for his sixteen-year-old grandson, and after reading my son’s story, had a change of heart. He cancelled the purchase of the Camero, and bought his grandson a four-cylinder car.

The chances of this Youngman racing against anyone on the streets have dropped dramatically.

So if my colleagues wondered why I was not my usual self last week, this may reveal why I was agitated.


The photo above is what remains of Bryan's car, the coroner stated on his death certificate, Bryan died a rapid death. Click on picture for larger view.

In case you feel I'm only exaggerating illegal street racing because my son was killed, here are a few examples of what is being said online regarding this epidemic.

3 comments:

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Such a sad story, and I understand how you must feel seeing this. I commend you for raising awarness to an issue with dangerous outcome.

I can remember driving reckless when in my youth. I of course did not think about possible outcomes. Raising awarness to the horrific possibilities can be a huge deterant.

I'm sure this was hard to write about, and I give you credit as a true gentleman for doing so.

Nubia said...

KUDOS, Edward.

Keep the faith in your attempts to make a difference!

Blessings!

Chef Debi said...

By sharing your tragic loss with others, one can only hope that your voice along with others that have lost loved ones in such a senseless manner will be heard.

God bless you all...

Chef Debi