Thursday, December 06, 2007

Get Lost With Easy-Writer: Happy Christmas, Andy

by Melanie O.

Andy went missing again. He seems to find this time of year especially difficult. As a child, we could manage him with some disciplinary action whenever he "acted up" over the Christmas season, but now that he's a grown adult, he seems to answer to no one. Not even the people who try their hardest to help him: clergymen, therapists, doctors, and other family members.

My mother discovered where he was, after receiving a call from a social worker in Raleigh, North Carolina, where we used to live. He was hospitalized again - the third time in a year - and is now living at the homeless men's shelter there. He has Bipolar disease and other personality disorders, but regularly allows my mother to be notified of his whereabouts. I shudder to think what would happen, if something happened to her. She is the lifeline between my son and me. Not because there is enmity between Andy and myself – but because I am half a planet away.

Continue reading Melanie O. by clicking on link below.

Get Lost With Easy-Writer: Happy Christmas, Andy

No comments: