Monday, July 28, 2008

More DownZelling at The Los Angeles Times


We lost eight more colleagues this afternoon at the Los Angeles Times, just read this story from Kevin Roderick.

Here’s the list from Patterico:
Tim Cavanaugh
Amina Khan
Gary Spiecker
Diedre Ware
Nico Smedley
Sonni Efron
Jim Newton
Swati Pandey


I find it especially sad after interacting with many of the departed or soon to leave the newspaper. Nico Smedley pointed out my error regarding a pool table at Times Mirror Square, and was in charge of us volunteer drivers at the Festival of Books. Very pleasant young man that I will miss.

The editorial department is not alone in losing staff, I have been told the Internet Technology Department at the Los Angeles Times will layoff between ten and twenty of their ninety-four person staff.

And rumors of the Orange County Production Facility closing have been growing with intensity the past few weeks. The rumors could be blamed on the Ad-Op Department, and the Advertising Department vacating the Los Angeles Times Costa Mesa Facility to Times Mirror Square. Just makes workers question the direction the Costa Mesa facility is taking?

I’m certain our production managers at the Times will run another rumor control message, to my colleagues, regarding how misinformed the Blogging Pressman might be.

Yet the pressroom has not decertified the union, as I have been told would be done in June of this year. Fairly easy to see whom my colleagues believe, and it isn't our Tribune Bosses.

No comments: