Thursday, October 23, 2008

Can You Hear me Now Eddy Hartenstein?


On October 10th, 2008 I attempted to contact our publisher, Eddy Hartenstein, without success. Most users at the Los Angeles Times use their first and last name in their email address, this does not seem to be the case with Eddy or maybe he’s just to new to the newspaper and doesn't have an address yet? Here’s how my email program responded after I sent my message to Eddy:

-----------------------------------------------------
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

:
144.142.3.130 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected eddy.hartenstein@latimes.com
Giving up on 144.142.3.130.
-----------------------------------------------------

My message to Eddy was to explain why my colleagues and I find it so important to find internal Los Angeles Times memos posted at LAObserved, we have no access to messages that affect us directly. The majority of employees at the Olympic and Orange County Facilities are unable to see memos from Sam Zell, Lee Abrams, Randy Michaels, and Eddy our publisher.

Russ Newton, senior vice-president of production, made an attempt to allow all employees at the satellite plants to stay informed of important information with memo's posted on a bulletin board. But with the exodus of so many from Human Resources, this vehicle of communication has slowed to a crawl.

Anyone within Tribune can run a search of my name, Edward Padgett, and see for yourself I have no email address listed whatsoever. So when I locate Tribune or Los Angeles Times memo's I post the information online for my colleagues and myself.

My hat's off to my colleagues that share internal memo's with Kevin Roderick and Jim Romenesko, otherwise many of us would have no clue as to the happenings at our company, aren't we the owners?


I find it rather odd we must learn of events occuring at our company from men that do not even work for the newspaper. Our last publisher, David Hiller, was unable or willing to allow communications for everyone, will our new publisher Eddy make the change that is needed and desired to keep ALL employees informed?

1 comment:

Herbolicious said...

TRY USC ALUMNI OFFICE . HARTENSTEIN AND HIS SCUMBAG THIEVES AT SIRIUS/XM SHOULD BE HUNG OUT TO DRY. GREEDY BASTARDS! MEL KARMIZAN ... WHO GOT A 7 MILLION DOLLAR BONUS THIS YEAR AND THE OTHERS GOT A FAT BONUS AS WELL ON THE BACKS OF LOYAL ORIGINAL XM SUBSCRIBERS. WHEN THEY MERGED THE YEARLY FEE HAS GONE UP $60. IN THIS ECONOMY. YOU CALL SIRIUS IN NYC AND YOU GET NOTHING. THESE PIRATES HIDE. GIVE SC A SHOUT!
SCUMBAGS!!!