Thursday, November 06, 2008

A Day That Made History



By William Conover

Yes, today America’s Presidential Election made history and no matter whom you are, you felt impacted by the results. So you went out to buy a newspaper, if you were there early enough you were able to get a copy, if you were delayed it was not like any other day as copies of newspapers were disappearing in record numbers.

I work in the Los Angeles Times Pressroom and friends and family contacted me in regards to locating a newspaper the morning after the election, but I personally did not take an extra copy home with me. But upon my arrival home my Los Angeles Times was waiting for me on my driveway, waiting to be opened, as it is everyday because I subscribe to the Times.

This will not be the last time that history will be made in our country, weather it be political, sports related or events related to the rich and famous. To pick up and hold a newspaper in my hands is the manner in which I prefer to read my news. And occasionally I even cut out certain articles for whatever reason, is sometimes necessary.

I suggest insuring not missing any further historic events that you subscribe to the Los Angeles Times by calling 1.800.LA.TIMES, which offers many different delivery options for your families needs.

Bill

4 comments:

Kanani said...

I subscribe! I'll keep my copy in a safe place!!

Nubia said...

Just ordered copies of the Chicago Tribune online. Copies were $.75 each, but shipping was over $27.00!
FedEx Ground only!

Worth it for me.

Edward Padgett said...

Obama has been great for newspapers across the country, as every newspaper has published additional copies of their November 5th editions. Here at the Los Angeles Times we have produced 232,000 additional newspapers.

With so much less than positive news regarding newspapers, let’s enjoy the few days of positive news while it lasts.

Ronnie Pineda said...

Why are'nt we giving these away for free with a paid subscription as suggested by a fellow pressperson and boost paid circulation? This would kill two birds with one stone as they say. the customer gets a paper, plate, etc, with a paid subscription and we get another subscriber.

This would be similar to promotions like Sports Illustrated does with sporting milestones. We can expand it to cover other historical events as well as sporting results such as the Superbowl, World Series and NBA Championships etc.

My main question is what are they going to do with the proceeds of Obama's Victory memorabilia?

How about putting it back into our pension since they are lowering the interest paid to the account next year!