Monday, December 01, 2008

It fought the fire the only way it knew how


With newspapers limited in what can be reported many newsworthy stories never make the hard copy edition, such as the story submitted by my colleague at the Los Angeles Times, Larry Hockensmith. The Yorba Linda Fire’s environmental impact on wildlife has been captured by Larry, which we can categorize as the forgotten one’s.

Photography and commentary by Larry Hockensmith

I read your November 29 article (Los Angeles Times) detailing the fire's impact on Chino Hills State Park. I thought you might find interesting these snapshots I took in the hills near my home in Yorba Linda. They are not of great quality, but the content is most fascinating.

This small rattlesnake fought the fire the only way it knew how, by striking back at the flames. I found it at the crest of a ridge, facing east, into the path the blaze had taken. Apparently, the flames moved so fast and were so hot, it seared him in this defiant pose. He was tuned into a sort of freeze-dried ash.


I brought the snake back home so my kids could see it. In this shot you can better appreciate just how burnt the little guy was. In the background are skulls and bones of other animals that had died years earlier and were exposed by the fire.


As unreal as it appears, my wife and I found this former rabbit in sprint form just inches onto a remote dirt road. Immediately behind him was a heavily burned ravine. The only thing I can figure is he must have died while running for safety (lungs singed from superheated gasses?) and was roasted by the adjacent flames. The animal was not cremated to ash like the others. It was more like he was left on a barbeque rotisserie a bit too long.


Blue Mud Canyon near Dorinda road, the general area where my wife and I encountered many unfortunate critters.

No comments: