Monday, August 03, 2009

37 Years at the Los Angeles Times


Hard to believe yet true, the Pressman Blogger has worked at the Los Angeles Times for thirty-seven years today!

I still recall heading to the personnel department to have my photograph taken to affix to my company identification card. As I ran upstairs to the ninth floor of the Times Mirror Building I came into contact with a LA Times photographer, with several 35 MM cameras dangling from her neck, as I exclaimed “I’m here to have you take my photograph”, which she responded, “I don’t take ID photographs sir”.

Another funny but true experience was the time I witnessed a young lady hitch hiking on Spring Street at 3:00 a.m., thinking I was about to help this young girl out I pulled over and offered her a ride. She mentioned she was looking for work, which prompted me to suggest she wait until 8 or 9 in the morning when the businesses were open to find work. Little did I know at the time she was a working girl, was I ever naive thirty-seven years ago.

I have been in a state of anxiety at the Los Angeles Times since I was placed on a last and final notice on August 27th, 2008, which ends in twenty-four days.

I’m happy to report I have been scared straight by this notice, and have changed my ways!

The notice can be viewed below this post.

2 comments:

Wolf said...

Congratulations on your accomplishment, and may you be around another 37 Years!

Edward Padgett said...

Thank you Wolf.

Do you realize I have worked at the newspaper longer than you have been alive!