Tuesday, December 08, 2009

John "Sonny" Shannon Rest in Peace


By Ronnie Pineda

Brothers and Sisters,

It is with immense sadness to announce that GCC/IBT International Representative John "Sonny" Shannon passed away yesterday evening. Brother Shannon was diagnosed with and treated for throat cancer prior to joining our contract negotiations back in November 2008.

Once assigned to our negotiations, Sonny, along with the negotiating committee worked in earnest to negotiate a first contract that would provide a foundation to build upon.

In the face of numerous obstacles such as Tribune's internal strife, mgts. negotiation tactics, the decline of the industry,the economy, and Tribune filing Bankruptcy, I believe Sonny did just that and will honor his memory for his contribution.

Sonny was cut from the same cloth as those of you that stand up for what you believe in, because he himself was a pressman.

Sonny is survived by his wife, children and grandchildren.

SOURCE: Save Our Trade

3 comments:

Chuck Reney (union Guy) said...

He will be sorely missed

Unknown said...

I will miss my brother for the rest of my life. I will always love him.

Unknown said...

I will miss my brother for the rest of my live.