Thursday, February 02, 2012

Klan Bombing of Birmingham Church 1963

Haven to the South's most violent Ku Klux Klan chapter, Birmingham was probably the most segregated city in the country. Dozens of unsolved bombings and police killings had terrorized the black community since World War II.

On Sunday, 15th September, 1963, a white man was seen getting out of a white and turquoise Chevrolet car and placing a box under the steps of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church. Soon afterwards, at 10.22 a.m., the bomb exploded killing Denise McNair (11), Addie Mae Collins (14), Carole Robertson (14) and Cynthia Wesley (14). The four girls had been attending Sunday school classes at the church. Twenty-three other people were also hurt by the blast.

Birmingham, Alabama, and the Civil Rights Movement in 1963 http://ow.ly/q8bG

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not all aspects of our American history are heroic or patriotic. This was a sad story in the American journey. However, I'm sad that you shared it with us. Those who refuse to remember their history are doomed to repeat it...

peace, Villager

Anonymous said...

My family members always say that I am wasting my time here at net, but I know I am getting familiarity daily by reading such nice articles.
my page > PR News Press