Michael Higby, with his Father James (to the right), during his 50th Birthday Party.
**Blogger's Note: On this Friday before many of us gather to celebrate the life ......, and say goodbye to our friend Michael "Mayor Sam" Higby, Let me briefly note that on Sunday, I will be posting the many kind thoughts and testimonials made in regards to Michael's untimely passing. The family, friends and myself, have greatly appreciated the witnessing to the Man of Character that was ....., and will always be, the friend we all shared. Below, we share the Formal (and loving testimonial) Obituary, authored by his Sister Jodie. Lastly, for those who have inquired about the future of Michael's brilliant, bloggin creation? Simply .........., click back in on Monday (wink, wink)---Scott Johnson.
Michael Edward Higby, was born on September 29th 1964 in Burbank, California and lived his entire life in his beloved San Fernando Valley.
* * * *He spent tremendous effort in giving his time and talent to make it a better place for all. Michael spent his school years at Pacoima Jr. High and graduated San Fernando High School in 1982. He then went to Los Angeles Valley College where he studied broadcasting, was a part of the student government and was a disc jockey at the college radio station.
* * * *He went back and earned his Associates Degree there in Theatre and Film in 1994. His career spanned several companies, beginning with a fun design job at Walt Disney Imagineering, a manager job at AVR Services, a communication manager at IMT Residential and then he found his calling at SADA in 2007 where he became their Senior Business Development Manager.
* * * *Michael had a rich life outside of his career. He joined the Jaycees in 1998, eventually becoming state president in 2004 as well as being honored as a JCI Senator, the highest international honor for the Jaycees. He founded a famous political blog in 2004, Mayor Sam's Sister City, in which he gave residents a voice on important LA City issues. He also served on the Universal City North Hollywood Chamber of Commerce in 2008-2010 and worked with the Mid-Town North Hollywood Neighborhood Council as well as the Sunland-Tujunga Neighborhood Council to enact change in his community.
* * * *Michael co-hosted several radio shows including Live LA Saturday Night and the Randy Economy Show. He has received numerous awards for outstanding business leadership and community service. He was instrumental in growing the Operation Santa program in North Hollywood and consistently donated his money, time and effort to many charities and community projects.
* * * *Michael passed away on April 15th, 2015 too soon, at the age of 50. Mike is mourned by his surviving family; father James E. Higby, sister Jodie Lea Ranzinger, Grandmother Beatrice Nissen May, Aunt Donna Nichols and countless cousins and amazing friends, and was preceded in death by his Mother Judie Higby Segal and step-father Howard Segal.
* * * *Services will be held this Saturday, May 9th 2015 at 1pm at New Hope Community Church 10438 Oro Vista Ave, Sunland California. In Lieu of flowers, the family requests donations in memory of Michael to Children’s Hospital Los Angeles under the Helping Hands Fund and Michael’s name.
Your thoughts on the amazing life of a Dear Friend.
Scott Johnson in CD 14