Sunday, October 13, 2013

Thank You Officer Hector Marquez, Jr. from New Mexico

SOURCE: Frank Somerville KTVU

I thought this was a nice story to start the week off right.
This is Officer Hector Marquez, Jr. from New Mexico.

He was responding to a family fight.

Inside the home was a 63 year old woman who was raising her six grandchildren.

After getting everyone to calm down he learned that the grandmother was the sole provider and was on a fixed income and food stamps.

And the problem was, everyone was hungry.

"I don't know how we got onto the topic of the welfare of the kids and if she needed anything. She had told me that they had last eaten in the morning, that grandma made pancakes, but she couldn't get her food stamps until the 19th, which was eight days away."

So Officer Marquez decided to take action.
He went to the grocery store and used his own money to buy the family groceries.
He bought milk, bread, cheese, and lunch meat.

The officer tried to do it quietly.
He didn’t make a big deal out of it.
But another officer told their boss, and the department then publicly honored him.

I remember once being in a grocery store and seeing an elderly woman buying one can of beans.

I debated back and forth whether to offer to buy her food and in the end in I convinced myself not to do it. I thought maybe that was all she needed and I didn’t want to embarrass her.

Looking back I was wrong. I wish I’d followed my heart and done what Officer Marquez did instead of over thinking it.

It’s estimated that more than 1 out of every 5 children in American is hungry. http://feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america.aspx

But thanks to Officer Marquez at least 6 children didn’t go to bed hungry for at least one night last week.


 

No comments: