Tuesday, February 24, 2009

LAT Pressman Allen Clark's Parting Shots


At yesterday’s rally in front of the Los Angeles Times headquarters thirty-four year employee Allen Clark approached me with a letter in hand. Allen requested I post his letter to my blog, which I naturally agreed to do for him. Here’s what Mr. Clark had to say:

"From 1963 to 1964 I had a bike route with the Los Angeles Times, the only bicycle route this particular Times dealer had at the time.

In 1975 I was hired by the Los Angeles Times as a full time truck driver, a position I held for twenty years, but also delivered 600 to 700 Los Angeles Times newspapers from my car for one year and four months.

I transferred to the pressroom at the Times in 1995 and now they want to let me go without even a severance package."

The Union will meet with the company tomorrow to negotiate severance packages for the sixty-three pressroom employees about to be let go. If anyone else has a burning desire to share some parting words feel free to contact me.

3 comments:

Nubia said...

MAJOR PISSER-OFF-er! God bless you, Mr. Clark. You (and ALL others in this situation) will SURELY get your just rewards (in one way or another) for the service, dedication, and loyalty that you have expended to the LA Times.

Stay positive and know that God takes care of his own!

morethanubrgn4 said...

Russ, Most people at the times think you are a ruthless, vindictive son of a b***h. Here is your chance to prove there isn't ice water coursing through your veins and show some compassion. Prove them wrong. Give the pressroom bargaining group the same severance as all the other departments. Do the right thing, it's not too late.

Kanani said...

I'm utterly stunned.
He's worked for the Times from 1963 --the days of Otis Chandler, through all the botch ups made by the Chandler heirs and The Tribune, and no recognition of their work? I'm not a union person, but at least they've got negotiators for them at this time.

I have an idea. How about Sam Zell sells his MALIBU mansion and gives these guys their pensions. Maybe all those publishers with Golden Parachutes should be kicking in as well. How about the CHANDLER heirs toss in a percentage to give these 63 a package to thank them for the years of service while they enjoyed private schools and trips to Europe.