Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Iconic “history making” photojournalist Haywood Galbreath


Last Sunday I attended an extremely exciting photography exhibit at the The Museum of African American Art, located inside Macy's Department Store, featuring my friend Haywood Galbreath.
As I entered the showroom I was dismayed the room was not standing room only, as many empty seats faced me, but this quickly changed as everyone arrived together, and the once empty seats gave way and filled quickly. The young man volunteering at the museum brought out every available folding chair which were filled as quickly as brought out, and before Haywood began speaking, the room was indeed standing room only.
I met Haywood last year through a mutual friend, James Bolden, and James appears to know everyone and is very active in the community, always positive and happy to see people. My attraction to Mr. Galbreath was immediate as I learned how he mentors children in photography every year from Inglewood High School, my hero's are those that help others, which Haywood fits specifically into, a genuine hero. 
Mr. Galbreath's photography collection will be on display from April 14th through June 30th, 2013.

Visit the 3rd floor of Macy's at the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza in Los Angeles



Thursday - Sunday
12 noon - 5 pm

Monday - Wednesday
CLOSED

From Haywood Galbreath:
   
Thanks for coming to the historic photo exhibit opening of “my choice of weapons through the lens history and moments captured “

I want to thank everyone who took time out Sunday to come to the opening of the historic photo exhibit “my choice of weapons: through the lens history and moments” I received word from the museum that it was a very successful opening! And that was made possible by all of you who came out to spend your afternoon with us! I hope you were not disappointed with what you saw reference to history making images and my comments.

Several of my friends saw a different side of me yesterday! Yes I am a man on a mission that I feel was ordained by God! We have much work to do for ourselves and for those who come after us and I’m bound and determined to level the playing field so that young people of color as well as people of color as a whole can enjoy all they should be able to enjoy being American citizens!

I would appreciate if you would go out and encourage others to attend the exhibit and purchase images so that the money can be used to purchase equipment to teach young people of color the very rewarding careers of photojournalism, photography and broadcasting and we can make a change for the better in young lives! We can we must and I sincerely hope we will!

I made some new friends yesterday several of you are in the profession of media in the weeks to come let’s try and build network and move ourselves and others forward!

Thank you,
-Iconic “history making” photojournalist Haywood Galbreath-

No comments: