Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Blogging Pressman Marks 38 Years at the LA Times

Some events are hard to believe such as my
thirty-eight year anniversary with the Los Angeles Times this afternoon. Barely made it through the last attempt to eradicate me from the pressroom, but I’m still there with a little help from my friends.

When I began my career with the newspaper circulation was climbing, and we had trouble squeezing in all the advertisements, which usually resulted in many hours of overtime.

The standard crew size was eleven men; women did not enter the pressroom until the lead plates were replaced with plastic letterpress plates. When the press run required a double delivery mode a twelfth man was added to the crew to monitor the offside of the conveyor. Add more than one spot color and an ink pourer position was hired to keep the ink boxes filled throughout the run.

So it’s very sad to see the shape of the newspaper today, always seeking ways to eliminate employees and cut costs in any and every way possible.

Not certain I will see my thirty-ninth year at the newspaper, but I’ll give it my best.

1 comment:

old pressman said...

So Ed still pissing folks off. Nice to see someone still around out of the old folks.