Saturday, December 23, 2006

Message From David Hiller - Publisher LAT

From: Hiller, David
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 11:25 AM
Subject: Have a good holiday!

Folks,

I want to wish you and your families and friends a happy and safe holiday season.

I'm going to Chicago for a few days, and then coming home to go to the Rose Parade which I have watched on television every year since I was a kid. I hope you also have good plans to relax, unwind and have some fun. We all need it.

I have spent a fair amount of time over the past couple of weeks in meetings with potential investors, talking with them about the Los Angeles Times. In an odd way, with all the uncertainty about the future ownership of this company, telling these new people our story - about what we have meant to Los Angeles and Southern California for 125 years, and our plans looking to the future - has reinforced my confidence in our future. No matter what change, if any, may occur in our corporate ownership, we are the leading and most influential media company in the biggest and most dynamic region in the nation. That's a pretty darn good base to build on.

And build and change we will. I spent time yesterday with Jim O'Shea, Doug Frantz and the Spring Street group talking about their ideas and recommendations for re-orienting our news operations toward the Web, driving more continuous breaking news, and overall better integrating our efforts across print and online. I don't want to scoop that story here, but I'm very excited about the early recommendations, and we'll be hearing more about that soon after the first of the year.

I also want to thank all of you for what you do every day. This is truly a remarkable place, with extraordinary people. And I want to thank you, too, for helping me and making me feel welcome these first months I have been here. I really appreciate it.

So have a great holiday, and I'm looking forward to our 126th year.

David

No comments: