Friday, December 27, 2013

Sherry Stern's departure from the Los Angeles Times

Sherry Stern's goodbye note:

From: Stern, Sherry
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2013 2:20 PM
To: yyeditall
Subject: So Long. Farewell.

For a change I’m not selling Angels or USC tickets, and instead sharing a note of auf Wiedersehen (to keep up the “Sound of Music” theme of my subject line).

This is a happy time as I look ahead, but also a sad one as I say good-bye after 24 years at The Times and 35-plus in journalism.

As this day has approached, I’ve been reflecting on my time in newspapers and my long-held friendships. I’ve known some of you since we were on the Daily Trojan at USC, others at the Arizona Daily Star, the Vista Press and the Orange County Register.

Please indulge me words of thanks to those who made my work meaningful and enjoyable.

First I tip my cap to key people who most influenced my career: Joe Saltzman, Blair Charnley, the late Bob Epstein, John Lindsay, John Montorio and (of course) C.P. Smith.

Plus a huge note of gratitude to the people I have worked alongside in Calendar and who have made it such a special place. I started to name you, but the list got too long. You are talented, smart and funny.

I leave with incredible admiration for Kelly Scott and the entire arts team -- they continue to do consequential journalism even as their ranks and resources diminish. I want to specifically mention Mark Swed, the writer I’ve worked the closest with over the past five years. He is an editor’s dream and brings as much passion and expertise to his work as anyone on this paper’s talented staff.

Finally, I can’t leave without acknowledging LAT copy editors and designers, perennially overworked and making the rest of us look good every day.

I’ll think of you all every day when I pick up the Los Angeles Times on my driveway.

And please let me know if you are interested in seeing any Angels games. We have great seats!

Adieu,

Sherry


h/t Brett Levy

No comments: