Monday, December 17, 2007

Bloggers on Ice


Having worked in downtown Los Angeles over thirty-five years I have learned to avoid certain parts of the city after dark, and Pershing Square happened to be on that list, until tonight. After reading about Bloggers on Ice I ventured over to Pershing Square, with my car doors in the locked position, as I tried to recall where I was headed. After driving in circles for a few minutes I broke down and asked for directions, seems I was four blocks south of where I needed to be.

The Pershing Square I remember was a drug user infested area, but as I pulled into the parking garage across the street, a quick glance of the new and improved Square was visible. It had been over twenty years since I last visited or had driven by Pershing Square, and what a transformation the place has taken over the years.




As I walked across the street from the underground parking structure, there were actually families walking the streets of Los Angeles, at night! Downtown Los Angeles is changing for the better it appears, a place where families can visit once again.

The bloggers and users had gathered at the far end of the ice rink, and only two brave souls from the group took to the ice, as the remainder of us watched and snapped photographs. The gathering was short lived as the rain arrived a bit earlier than anticipated, and with nowhere to shield us against the rain, the majority of us departed for the warmth of our homes.




Shannon and Eric

2 comments:

MeekoRouse said...

greetings it was nice meeting you Edward. As you see I found your blog (per the business card) *grin*

I honestly wasn't expecting the rain so although the hot chocolate was hot & they had those big marshmallows too.. it wasn't enough to stay in the cold.. best to walk it home & yes there are plenty of folks walking about downtown in the rain. A different downtown I guess it is. =)

best wishes to you & yours,

Pamela
(flikr poster and one of the 'commenters' of BlogDowntown

ps: my actual blog is on LiveJournal.com which I rarely post public to. Thus "commenter" status, I guess.

darleene said...

AWWWWWW, I wish I'd gone! Problem was I was coming from Agoura Hills, plus we were affected with "day off laziness," then traffic -- oy. Talk about a recipe for not going anywhere. Argh.