Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Austin American-Statesman publisher, editor take buyouts



Publisher Susie Biehle and Editor Debbie Hiott announced Aug. 28 that they are departing the Austin American-Statesman, the paper reported. 

The newspaper had recently announced that it was extending voluntary buyout offers to its staff. The paper didn’t reveal how many people in total had opted for the buyouts.  Biehle and Hiott told employees that they were accepting buyouts.

“I’ve been thinking for a while about the right time to retire, and it simply felt like the right time to allow new leadership to take the reins,” Biehle told employees.

“It has been the greatest privilege of my career to serve in this role.”

“It was a tough decision, but after 28 years in this newsroom, I am ready for a new challenge,” Hiott said. “I love the Statesman and the people who work here, and I expect to be a supporter long after I am gone.”

GateHouse Media finalized its buy of the Statesman from Cox Enterprises five months ago.

Hiott will leave the paper on Sept. 30 and Biehle on Nov. 30.


No comments: