Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Just use cash --waitress steals debit card numbers


Waitress steals debit/credit card numbers

Lately, I've been using my debit card more and more.
I suppose it's okay for places like the grocery store, where it never leaves my hand (or maybe not). But in restaurants there's that missing fifteen minutes --you don't know how many hands that card passes through.

A waitress at HAMBURGER HAMLET was offered $10 per card number. Someone gave her a card reader to record the numbers. She'd give the customers the bill, they'd hand over the card. She'd take the card into the bathroom and collect the number. So far the total is up to $16k.

So here's the deal. I guess we all just have to go to the bank once a week, withdraw cash, and use it. It's not so bad. Cash flow will be contained, and there's no downloading weird bits of info from vendors onto your Quicken.

Many years ago, in the days of those paper credit card slips, a medical biller at a doctor's office used my card to pay for her dentistry. She was arrested and charged. But the kicker is.... SHE WASN'T FIRED. And that's why I quit going to that doctor. I thought that was so lame and insulting, even though I was the one who alerted them as to this issue.

No comments: