Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I'm Watching Your Back

This past weekend was rather busy for myself, with my daughter Joanna and I spending Saturday at a day spa in Temecula. Joanna had her hair trimmed, and highlighted, while also having a manicure and pedicure.

As Joanna enjoyed her beauty treatment I spent two hours having every muscle in my body massaged with hot smooth rocks, which left me sore afterwards, but I slept very well Saturday and Sunday nights as a result. With all the stress at the newspaper, treat yourself to a massage once in awhile; you won’t be sorry, just a little lighter in the wallet.

And speaking about being lighter in the wallet, the Los Angeles Times Security is actively investigating the vandalism occurring at the Olympic Facility. I have contacted Wells Fargo Bank and Washington Mutual for the exact times my cards have been used at Yum Yum Donuts, so Times security can view the video from the merchant to identify the culprit in the thief’s.

I had not even bothered to see where my Visa card was used until last night, and discovered the dummy had used my credit card at Yum Yum donuts twice for charges of $4.08 and $2.98.

Last Friday before the pressroom started the swing shift Dan Lippiatt informed every one of the break-ins at a shift meeting, and urged everyone to file a report with security if they have experienced a loss. Apparently the reports filed with security are but the tip of the iceberg, as many have shared that their lockers have been opened in their absence, but have not reported the break-ins because they felt the company did not care.

One of the main reasons I have this blog is to keep my colleagues informed, so many things are presented here to stay abreast of the industry, and in this case, make all Operation Employees aware of the dangers of storing anything of value in their personal lockers.

Lets hope Times security can locate the thief before a pressman finds them, because some in the pressroom will apply vigilante justice to vent their anger.

2 comments:

Jade said...

Not filing a report with company security because you think your employer doesn't care doesn't speak well for the management. All I can say is, the press personnel need to protect themselves and file a complaint. If management/security does nothing, then go the the police. Allowing thieves to commit crimes against employees should not be tolerated. You all need to stand up for yourselves and each other. Employees have the right to a safe and secure workplace so you can perform your duties without fear of personal loss or identity theft.

Nubia said...

I recently hired a consultant to assist in reviewing and clearing any negative credit.

I received a call from my consultant during my visit to my Mother's and to my surprise, I was told that my name was listed (in various forms) on my credit reports 17 times with 23 different addresses over the past 5 years!

I've never been one to do online bill pay and have ordered only a few items online. This confirms the doubt I've had about doing such things. I've never lost my wallet, which goes to show that the thieves have a way to get to your information in the most cleverest of ways.

At this point, I will continue to write checks for bills, etc., and pay cash on a more regular basis, using the debit/credit cards only when ABSOLUTELY necessary.

We must all watch each others' backs or develop eyes in the backs of our heads!

What's next, I ask?