Monday, January 18, 2010

Los Angeles Times Pressman Speaks Out


Albaro L Albanes

January 18, 2010

Keith Denson
Executive Vice President
GCC-IBT Local 140-N


Dear Keith:

I listened to your recorded message about today’s meeting with the company representatives. It really saddens me to realize that, just like the last time, you negotiated the existing contract and the previous group of pressmen that got layed off. Your negotiating skills continue to lack the experience you mentioned in the past.

You said, you were not going to negotiate with our future, but you are gambling with mine and the other 38 that will be leaving soon. The company has proven that, with or without contract, they will continue doing whatever they need to do; grievances will continue to pile up and we have to wait for procedures to follow through. The company on the other hand, they have not stopped making changes without following procedures or protocols.

It is time to understand our reality, in my case, I still feel the first few seconds after I wake up in the mornings that it was nothing but a bad dream, well… it’s real. I am grateful that in the almost 30 years I worked for The Times I was able to provide for my family and see them grow and become hard working individuals.

This economy affected everyone, at this point, any severance that the union may be able to negotiate for us; it will help us a great deal. Just remember that while you will continue the fight, you will continue earning a pay check that we don’t have the luxury of, any more. We all have families and bills to pay.

Sincerely,

Albaro L Albanes

No comments: