Wednesday, January 06, 2010

SEVEN Things To Offer A Soldier (with a possible eighth)

"Recently, I wrote a post about some of the insufferably awkward things people say to those in the military. I listed seven things not to say to a veteran and the reasons for not doing so. As an example of what else not to say, read an earlier article I wrote about trash can politics.
But today, I've written seven things to offer a soldier in reply to "Joe Doakes," a civilian from St. Paul Minnesota who wrote:
"...Say I meet a returning vet, maybe at a New Year's Eve party:
"Thanks for your service."
"You're welcome."
[crickets]
Okay, so what Should I say next? How was the weather? What's your favorite MRE? How 'bout those Vikings?
Seriously, I'd like to be supportive and polite but don't know where the landmines are. Little help here?"

Read the rest at: The Kitchen Dispatch

No comments: