Saturday, November 26, 2011

Tom Petruno Leaving the Los Angeles Times

Long time journalist Tom Petruno has announced, through his column in today’s newspaper, that he will be departing the newspaper on December 2, 2011. I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Petruno; nonetheless I dislike seeing him leave the newspaper and wonder what impact his vacancy will be on circulation, which has been faltering daily.

On November 2nd our editor Russ Stanton announced to his staff in private meetings the newspaper would shed an additional ten to twenty employees, which Mr. Petruno appears to be the first of many victims.

When I finally caught up feeding newsprint to the printing press I picked up the A Section to read my favorite columnist Sandy Banks, and noted concern in her article. Appears even our star writer feels uncertainty regarding her future employment at the Los Angeles Times. Maybe I’m reading too much into her column and misunderstanding what she had to say? Ms. Banks column can be read by clicking here, to see for yourself what I’m saying.

Here at the production plant we’re scheduled to throw eighteen colleagues under the bus at the end of the year, so naturally there’s stress in the air at the Olympic Facility. Rumors of three additional products to be produced at the production facility would save fifteen jobs in the pressroom and cannot arrive soon enough, as anticipation for a ray of good news would be welcomed with open arms by the entire staff in Operations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a travesty. Petruno was one of the only reasons to look at the faltering paper. Goodby subscription.

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I just read your farewell on the blog.    I will truly miss you.  In the morning I would turn straight to your column first, before even reading the head lines.  There is no reason to get the Times anymore.  I'm totally SAD to see you go. You were the only writer worth reading in the business section.

Good luck on your new endeavors,
Wayne

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I just read your farewell on the blog.    I will truly miss you.  In the morning I would turn straight to your column first, before even reading the head lines.  There is no reason to get the Times anymore.  I'm totally SAD to see you go.

Good luck on your new endeavors,
Wayne