Tuesday, August 14, 2007

It Has Been a Hell of a Day

It has been a hell of a day!

To all you street racers out in the Blogosphere, think of your families the next time someone at a stop light challenges you to a race, is gambling with your life worth the risk of a stranger driving faster than you? When you stop and think about it rationally, the ten to fifteen second adrenaline rushes certainly is not worth losing your life over.

This morning I luckily caught an email from Peter Wilgoren, senior producer of KCBS/KCAL Los Angeles, wondering if I would agree to be interviewed regarding the dangers of street racing. Without hesitation, I replied in the positive, and sent off my home and cell numbers. And shortly afterwards Linda Alvarez called, but I was unable to set an exact time for filming due too a physical this morning. After taking the physical I called Ms. Alvarez and gave her the green light to come to my home. As the news crew arrived in their highly marked van, my ex-wife and Bryan’s mother Susan pulled up, she had no clue what was about to happen.

It was extremely difficult to face the camera without shedding tears, but Susan and I held up rather well, and thanks to Ms. Alvarez we felt at ease in her presence. If you know me, you know I would have snapped several photos of Ms. Alvarez and myself for Face Book, but this was not on my agenda today.

Susan and I sent out a message today with the help of KCBS, Peter Wilgoren, Linda Alvarez, Brian Humphrey, and Darleene Powells, which we hope makes a difference. We are not seeking publicity or additional hits for our blog, just a message to young men and women on what can happen if you take chances street racing.

Today we gathered at the mortuary for the viewing of my son’s body, and the mortician worked magic in making Bryan look like we remember him. My children covered Bryan’s head with flowers attempting to mask all the stitches along the side of his head. I left the room many times to shed my tears; it’s just so awful to see my son in this state.

I have worked at the Los Angeles Times for over thirty-five years, and the Los Angeles Times had a policy of sending representatives from the company for employees and their families in a show of respect after a death. I’m sorry too say, this policy was changed some years ago, so when the senior vice-president of production, Russ Newton, appeared at my son’s viewing I was so pleased with his presence.

After receiving a big bear hug from Mr. Newton, he gave me condolences from David Hiller, publisher of the Los Angeles Times, and that really brightened my sad day.

Before closing tonight, I have a bombshell I will be dropping on the Orange County and Olympic Pressrooms after my son’s burial. As a direct result of my son’s death, I have been informed I have a cousin I did not know of till today, as my cousin and I screamed and laughed in elation on the phone we have decided to wait till after Bryan’s funeral to reveal this fact. This newfound cousin will be changing the dynamics’ of my blog, because he’s now family.

Peace be with you all,
Edward

Click on title for video. HAT TIP to JozJozJoz

3 comments:

darleene said...

Ed, you're stronger than I am. I don't think I would be able to deal with a news camera after losing a child.

Kanani said...

That was really nice of Russ Newton to come, as it was everyone else. David Hiller's condolences were nice as well.

Jess Espinoza said...

I want to say thanks to all of our LAT friends and the blog team for their support and generosity during this difficult time, I am proud and honored to be a member of such a great group of friends.