Sunday, September 02, 2007

Al Martinez Endures Watching Naked Bodies For Us

As some of you know, I got rid of cable years ago. I and other non-cableites have Al to brave the stupidity of "good TV writing" on cable, naked bodies and a drunken Mulder in the TV show "Californication" in his latest column

"I've got to tell you, though, while I've known some drunken, haunted writers, none of them, as I said earlier, were anything like Moody and therefore lacked his allure. The ones I knew just stayed drunken and haunted and freelanced for bawdy men's magazines while dreaming of a sale to Reader's Digest."

As an aside, I recently endured a writing workshop with not one but two young-ish television writers trying their hand at novel writing. Without a doubt, they were sure they could nail this out. They couldn't. They'd been trained by Hollywood to take shortcuts. Yet, once we listened to one come in and declare, "I mean... I'm a writer! I know how to do this! I write for TV!" And each week she bored us with stuff we'd either read or seen in a show. The other wrote for reality TV shows. Both thought novels were written by committee, couldn't find his way out of their way out of the quagmire they'd created in their head. So it's not surprising that this new TV show relies on stereotypes of writers, since it underscores the difficulty a lot of young TV writers have when it comes to writing either journalism or longer prose.


No comments: