Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Making Small Gains At Olympic



Last Sunday (July 9th) I was saddened to see the Birds of Paradise dying from the lack of water on the cafeteria patio. So I took it upon myself to start watering the patio plants with a five gallon bucket. Yesterday I was pleased to see the plants responding very well to my attention, as you can see from the photograph.

Each one of us can make a difference, in our homes, neighborhoods, and workplaces. If you see some trash in the parking lot, pick it up, and deposit the trash to the nearest trash can.

If someone gives me the keys to the spinkler system for the grass I will start watering on my lunch breaks and smoke breaks. The system is under lock and key, so I'm unable to turn on the water at the moment.

The water pump will be up and running soon, so hopefully the grass will return to normal before reverting back to earth.

Some put this off as no big deal, but the workers from Chatsworth are experiencing flashbacks of the closing of their plant, and this is not a good feeling for them.

We all see things in a different light, depends on what angle your looking from.

Eddie

9 comments:

Kanani said...

Nice work, Ed!

Anonymous said...

The olympic facility water pump was replaced . In O.C. , What is the reason the grass in 90% of the parking lot islands are dead ? Forget about the flowers and plants around the heliport , gone long ago. Weeds near the heliport are close to 4 - 5 feet tall , not exagerating. I guess the pump in O.C. does not work also . Dirty building ? The paint is peeling on the awning of the community center and on the building itself . Of all places right below the Los Angeles Times sign . I do realize this seems so trivial and I am so greatful to be an employee of the Times , it is just sad to see how far this place is declining.

Anonymous said...

Please get some money in the budget for our plant in OC. Very well said in last comment. Most of us in OC are very grateful owners in stock in our company. Share some profits in upkeep of our facility BOTH OC AND OLY

Edward Padgett said...

To my Orange County counterparts,

Email photographs of your plant to Kanani, Jesse, or myself and we will share what condition your facility is in.

Ed

Anonymous said...

I've got an idea how about some profit in your pocket ??!!.( how does that sound folks )

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
I've got an idea how about some profit in your pocket ??!!.( how does that sound folks )

3:20 PM

Well where do I start ?? Tribune is saving how much money for closing our sister plant? They invested 46 million on the press expansion project , another 50 million at CCN . Did you get any profit in your pocket yet? Sadly , you never will . Why ? Because the gains , profit , etc .. are never going to be good enough . Can improving the appearance of the Olympic and Orange County facility realistcly going to impact our stock or the bottom line of Tribune ? Of course not .

Edward Padgett said...

Can improving the appearance of the Olympic and Orange County facility realistcly going to impact our stock or the bottom line of Tribune ? Of course not.

I disagree. The appearance of the two production facilities impacts the workers in a negative manner.

Keeping employee morale as high as possible equals higher productivity and fewer errors.

Anonymous said...

You need to maintain your car or it falls apart. AND YOU NEED TO MAINTAIN FACILITIES OR THEY FALL APART NO BRAINER TO OUR MANY VP SENIOR VP AND ETC ETC||||||||||||||

Anonymous said...

Can improving the appearance of the Olympic and Orange County facility realistcly going to impact our stock or the bottom line of Tribune ? Of course not.

I disagree. The appearance of the two production facilities impacts the workers in a negative manner.

Keeping employee morale as high as possible equals higher productivity and fewer errors.

12:17 AM


I too want the propertys to look nice , but they have been in disrepair for so many YEARS that it has not caused me or our crews to make errors. Simple mistakes dont hurt the stock only 1 Billion dollar tax mistakes . And as repairing your car .... The old tv commercial from FRAM back in the 70s you can pay me now or you can pay me later. So true . Newsprint wherehouse in OC has been leaking for years , we only throw away 40- 50 rolls a year from rain damage . Pay now or later , at some point you are going to pay , sooner is always cheaper .