Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Well Trained, Will Write.


Well, for some reason, this page won't load on my laptop. So I have to wait until my son has gone to use his computer instead. I'm late in saying thank you to Ed for telling everyone about my letter in the Calendar Section about the interview with Owen Wilson. I was surprised. I don't mean to slam the journo, but really, there's more to this guy than anyone will give him credit for and his mother is only one of the best photographers in the USA. Let me put it this way. If I saw Owen Wilson on the street, I'd say something nice about his mother rather than talk about him. Not that my kids and I don't like him. We like his movies, it's just that... well, have you seen her work?

Last year I wrote a letter to Vanity Fair about an article they wrote on The Crossroads School in Santa Monica. The journo did a good job. It wasn't a fluff piece at all, and it really exposed the school for what it is: a very expensive school with loads of Hollywood connections. I have no issues with private schools, but it seems ironic when some of them shove these carefullly crafted images of themselves as lovers of mankind when there are public schools all around them sinking.

Anyway, my letter enraged them enough to look up my address using zabasearch.com (a hideous site that you should know about), and write a letter inviting me to come and visit their school. Can you imagine? A lady in OrangeCounty upsets these super rich, image controlled people and they invite her to their school so that they can in some way redeem themselves? Cracked me up. Can't you see them getting so PO'd over this that they made the headmaster write to me? ME?

Ha! No way. I was busy. I had to work.
So letters do work. I hope everyone will start writing them!
If I get a note from Owen Wilson's publicist, I'll let you know.

4 comments:

Edward Padgett said...

Kanani,

Blogs work well also.

As an example, I turned in the forms at work to allow Internet access for myself over three weeks ago, yet, I have no access to the Internet from work. I won't mention this till next week, and see what happens then?

Kanani said...

I think the problem is my network connection. I have a wireless thingy, and my own network seems to be GONE. So I've hijacked my neighbor's wireless network and am sneaking on using his bandwidth!

Edward Padgett said...

Kanani,

Users have no clue how easy it is to piggyback onto their wireless ISP's of their neighbors, let alone browse through their neighbor's computers when running a wireless system.

A wireless network is broadcasting a radio wave, that can be picked up froma few feet away to a few miles away.

I run a hardwired network at home for security.

Jess Espinoza said...

Make sure you enable WEP or WPA security on your router when running a wireless network, Otherwise kanani may hijack your bandwidth. ;)