Thursday, May 25, 2006

Just Another Fun Filled Day

The e-mail notification service is running smoothly, every morning about 3:00am everything posted for the previous day is e-mailed to users that subscribe to the service. If you sign up for the service, it takes several days before your first message will arrive, and then a few additional days before it's actually running correctly.




I'm not one to do things in a timely manner, I filed my tax returns two days ago, (do not file late if you owe the government money) and thought I would have my cash deposited into my checking account soon after. Well, my federal taxes were rejected, with the error message "check the social security numbers of dependents" and "dependents can not be claimed on more than one tax return".

I double checked the children's social security numbers, and dates of birth, and everything checked out fine. I thought to myself "my ex-wife could not of written the children off" but that's what has happened. I called my ex and asked her if she wrote the children off on her taxes? And she said YES! She went on to say that H and R Block had no problem with her returns.

I have written off my children as long as they have been alive, and the children also live with me full time. This is a case of fraud, and wastes my time. I will call the IRS and find out what information they need to correct this, in the mean time, I will be out several thousand dollars while this mess is cleared up.

Don't be a procrastinator as I am, and situations like this won't happen to you.

Eddie

Update 10:50 am After calling the IRS (1.800.829.1040) several times, I went through a series of press one for English, and two for tax refunds, until I finally reached a real person, I was told to mail in hard copies of my federal tax return. After reviewing my past years returns, I was assured my refund would be in my hands within four months or sooner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny how ex-spouses can suddenly turn your world into chaos. . .I remember when my first husband and I got divorced. He offered me alimony and child support. I agreed to the child support but told him I was gainfully employed and didn't want to be indebted to him, so I turned the alimony down. He kept after me about accepting the alimony and the more he insisted, the more adamant I became about not wanting it. The divorce went through WITHOUT the alimony. The following year I filed my income taxes and received notification about 3 months later that I was being audited. My boss at the time (a former IRS auditor) advised me to contact the IRS and ask what I was being audited for and what records I should bring. I was told by the kind agent that I was being audited for not reporting income. I told him that was impossible and he said that ALIMONY was taxable. I told him that I wasn't awarded alimony, only child support. I also told him that even though I was supposed to get child support, I wasn't getting that either. He told me to bring my final divorce decree and bank statements from the previous year to verify that deposits matching what my husband had claimed had not been deposited into my account. BINGO!!!! I arrived at the IRS office with everything I'd been asked to bring and my agent quickly made copies, thanked me and sent me on my way. About 4 weeks later I got a phone call from my ex, and he was livid! Not only had his taxes been audited, the IRS expected him to prove that he'd been ordered to pay alimony and they wanted to see the cancelled checks with made out to me and cashed! I just hung up on him and smiled. I found out later that he'd been ordered to pay his income taxes, plus penalties and interest. Good luck, my friend. Let me know what happens.