Monday, May 22, 2006

Showers Have Blown Away

My drive to Los Angeles this afternoon was a fun one, and I had a feeling I should leave home early, so I started out at 11:30am. The 210 Freeway was a parking lot, all the way from Glendora to the 605 Freeway this afternoon. I took the surface streets to the 605 and Live Oak, before the freeway was clear. My thirty minute drive took almost an hour today. Californian's just can not slow down when it rains, resulting in accidents.

Today we had one less crew to produce the Calendar and Classified sections of Tuesday's newspaper, but we did ship 155,000 to the Orange County Facility. Sergio Lopez and his crew have had their days off changed from Tuesday and Wednesday, to Monday and Tuesday off. They will be coming in at 6:00am on Wednesday's to produce the Spanish edition of the Recycler.

Any additional publications are welcomed, it's seen as job security, by most of the workers.

Johnny Walker held a brief one hour meeting with the operators and service shops, seeking answers to why we have so many web breaks with half rolls. I like the direction he's taking with this problem, no one likes running half rolls.

I took this picture as I left the Olympic Facility at 6:30 PM tonight.

Stay dry,
Eddie

2 comments:

Jess Espinoza said...

Hey Ed,
I've noticed we do seem to have an excessive amount of half roll web breaks caused by the core brake locking up during paster cycle. A properly functioning core brake is critical when running a half roll; more so than with a full roll, less paper width equals less tensile strength.

Anonymous said...

Core break lock ups is a 16 year old problem, let's just write them down. They will keep on happening.