Saturday, June 23, 2007

What I'm Listening To Now

At This Time
(click and listen)
Lately I've been listening to really different things. For those of you who know me, I grew up with an eclectic musical palate: from Beethoven to Brubeck. Earlier this year I went through a Fred Astaire kick. You know me.... I love all sorts of music. I stumbled back into Burt Bacharach and his old stuff, then decided to listen to more recent things. The guy is 78. And he's still doing what he loves and more to the point, what he feels is important.

His CD "At This Time" is about... oh.... 2 years old. Ancient history in the music business. But it isn't in the poetry world, in which I inhabit.
Where Did It Go
Growing up in New York City
I could ride the subway by myself
And never ever be afraid
Where did it go?
And tell me what happened to the world I knew
Is it really gone?
How did we wind up in this place instead
Is it really gone?

I think these songs, with his voice that is cracking and wise, tinged with bewilderment, anger, sadness and even reassurance, speak to the way that a lot of us feel today. This is music where you can understand all the words, and they resonate to our restless soul. A bellwether for the future. Elvis Costello, Rufus Wainwright and Chris Botti make appearances.

No comments: