Saturday, June 16, 2007

What's the Truth Regarding Matt Welch?

On June 1st Matt Welch supposedly went on a leave of absence to write a book, just seems untimely that he would leave the same day as the writers and editors at the Los Angeles Times took forced buyouts with voluntary buyouts.


Matt is well know and liked in the blogosphere, and we hope this is only a temporary leave. The Los Angeles Times Blogs were brought to my attention by Matt, and I was honored with a link from the Times directly because of Matt, which I will always be thankful for.

Book Leave for Welch - LAObserved

L.A. Times editorial writer-Opinion Blogger Matt Welch has gone on leave to write a book about John McCain. Janet Duckworth, formerly of West magazine, has moved into his slot temporarily.

2 comments:

mattwelch said...

Thanks for the interest & kind words, Ed, but the truth is less interesting than the speculation!

I indeed took a temporary leave of absence -- on May 19, not June 1 --and am very busy reporting and writing a book examining the political philosophy and practice of Sen. John McCain. (I've been publishing some notes over at my personal blog.)

The timing vis-a-vis buyouts was purely coincidental, and I certainly did not take one. I'm scheduled to be back in the Opinion section in the second half of July.

Brady Westwater said...

It is only temporary. I talk with Matt regularly and he ain't goin' nowhere.